MAIN BRIEF - Refined Initial Ideas

Refined Initial Ideas

Folding Layout: We have been given an A3 sheet of paper to work with, I wanted to use this size to my advantage as I believe it would be an idea size to include a whole mapped area of the area the trails cover

Below are some examples of the layout/folds I could use. I feel these make the most of the available space and also provide enough information, without overdoing it.

























I like the idea of using a fold as seen in the bottom right (cross fold), where is uses the map on the full fold out to show the area in question.
My original plan was to use a traditional tri-fold or 3-fold, however we want this leaflet to stand out from the rest and I believe a strong way of doing this is switching up the shape. 

Content: I need my leaflet to have content such as the line maps, 2 sub-line maps, QR code/Web address, 3 or more relevant images or sketches, the logos and one other visual relevant image or idea gained from research. I feel within the 4 'free pages' I will be able to put information (countryside code, how to use leaflet, info about Worcester, sustainable print), logos, links and images.

Sketches to show the layout:




Above are some basic drawings I put together to show the leaflet if the A3 cross fold is chosen,
this design can also work on a traditional tri-fold if that is what the client would rather use.
I included everything which is in the brief and have put it in a logical form so when the user opens the leaflet they can find according information. 

Inside pages/context: I start with information about rail trails and what they do, I then move onto information about the area as not everyone is going to be familiar with the surroundings. Below this is an area on sustainability, not only about the company but also about how the leaflet is made - this is a growing concern in the industry and more people are becoming interested in the footprint of products and services. On the next context page I go on to explain useful links and information about how to use the leaflet (this is where the links come in handy as there is more information available about the scheme online and information on the routes), this was a key piece of information which is why I have centred it in the leaflet as the eye is sometimes naturally drawn to the centre. Below I have the countryside code, which is recommend and a good reminder, linking onto this below is the some emergency contacts, wether that be emergency services, maintenance, train lines or the rail trail themselves.

Middle/Maps: In the middle of the leaflet when you open it out fully, you have a large line map which shows routes on it. This then breaks off into separate sublines which have a more in detail map. There is also a coloured key and illustrations in the geometric form to help users visualise.

To help visualise the design:

These are some quick mock-ups which are far from perfect but it gives an initial idea of where I am going with this project, the colours and type face aren't complete, the main idea of this is to show the layout of the leaflet.
The maps will be hand drawn and coloured to my style and in correspondence to the colour scheme/feel of the leaflet, I will also hand drawn some pieces to use within the leaflet.

Some ideas that I want to include within my leaflet.

Geometric maps

Comments