From Gust to Volts Infographic

From Gust to Volts - Electricity generated from Windpower

Research: 

How is electricity generated from Windturbines? 

  • Turbines consists of a set of blades, a box beside them called a nacelle and a shaft. 
  • The wind – even just a gentle breeze – makes the blades spin, creating kinetic energy. 
  • The blades rotating in this way then also make the shaft in the nacelle turn
  • A generator in the nacelle converts this kinetic energy into electrical energy.
  • To connect to the national grid, the electrical energy is then passed through a transformer on the site that increases the voltage to that used by the national electricity system.
  • It’s at this stage that the electricity usually moves onto the National Grid, ready to then be passed on so that, eventually, it can be used in homes and businesses. 

Infographic:

Ideas - show each step as an individual infographic, digitally draw each step and keep it in a simple form to help keep the diagram simple and understandable for all ages.

Below are some initial sketch ideas I did to help me understand where I wanted to go with this project:



These are the infographics that I digitally drew to use on my infographic information piece, they are clear, simple and 'fun' which hopefully will be inviting to the users, especially the younger audience, ie. primary school children who could use my work as a learning resource. 

They includes:
  • Windturbine
  • Windturbine spinning in the wind
  • National Grid pylons
  • Transformer
  • Home
  • Lightbulb light-up




The final piece: An A4 diagram showing the process of Gust to Volts, explained with minimal words.















I wanted to keep this piece of work simple, as the process behind gust to volts is a fairly simple one. I feel this shows how the process works with some recognisable pieces on there such as the wind turbines, national gird and houses. I also feel this is understandable for all age ranges, which I believe is a crucial part of an informational piece. I didn't want to include too much unnecessary information.

Comments